The funeral chapel Louis- Joseph Papineau, a listed building, is a small religious building of Gothic influences erected in 1853-1855 and rebuilt in 1933. Of rectangular plan, this stone chapel is topped with a gable roof. The designation also includes land that is surrounded by such a wrought iron fence. The funeral chapel Louis- Joseph Papineau is located in the municipality of Montebello, amidst a forest of pine and maple, in a resort environment. It borders the Château Montebello and Louis- Joseph Papineau Manor, the latter being also a historical monument.
The Mount Royal Cemetery, one of the first rural cemeteries in North America, was incorporated in 1847 under an Act of the Provincial Parliament of Canada. It was consecrated June 8, 1854 by the Anglican Bishop Francis Fulford, after the first burial of Reverend William Squire, a Methodist Minister, on October 19th, 1852.
In the 19th century, the chapel came to be a pilgrimage site for the sailors who arrived in the Old Port of Montreal; they would make offerings to the Virgin in gratitude for her "good help" for safe sea voyages. In 1849, Mgr. Ignace Bourget, Bishop of Montreal, gave the chapel a statue of the Virgin as Star of the Sea, which was placed atop the church overlooking the harbour. Emphasizing the connection of the chapel and the port, the chapel is often called the Sailors' Church.
The chapel now also houses the Marguerite Bourgeoys Museum, dedicated to the life of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys and to the early history of Montreal and the chapel site. Below the chapel, the crypt is being excavated as an archeological site, which visitors can see. First Nations and French colonial artifacts have been discovered, along with the foundations of the first chapel and the fortifications of the colony. The church's prominent spire can also be climbed, offering views of the Old Port and Saint Lawrence River. In 2005, Marguerite Bourgeoys's mortal remains were brought back to the church, where she now lies in the sanctuary.
The church is located at 400 Saint Paul Street East at Bonsecours Street, just north of the Bonsecours Market in the borough of Ville-Marie (Champ-de-Mars metro station). (Wikipedia)
Saint Joseph's Oratory is known as one of the Montreal's premiere destination for religious art and culture. This section provides and overview of the Oratory's collection of historical artefacts, artwork, and well-stocked and varied library—a window onto an awe-inspiring world where tradition and innovation coexist.