To the north of the village of Courcelette on the D107 road towards Miraumont is Adanac Military Cemetery. Regina Trench crossed the road a little to the south of the cemetery, and Courcelette Trench ran on the other side of the road from the cemetery, more or less following the line of the road. A Maple Leaf motif attached to the gates denotes the Canadian associations of this cemetery, the name being 'Canada' spelt backwards. It was made after the Armistice around a single existing grave in Plot 4, Row D, Grave 30, and now is a large cemtery; over 3,000 are buried here, around a third of whom are Canadian. It contains many graves of soldiers who fell in the battlefields around Courcelette, and also from a number of other cemeteries nearby which were concentrated here.
Brompton Cemetery is a 39-acre cemetery located near Earl's Court on the western border of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in South West London, England. Established by Act of Parliament, it was consecrated by the Bishop of London in 1840 and was originally known as the West of London and Westminster Cemetery. Today it is managed by The Royal Parks, under contract from the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, making it Britain's only Crown Cemetery.
Brompton Cemetery's founder was the architect Stephen Geary (1797-1854), who had previously created cemeteries at Highgate and Nunhead. These three, along with Abney Park, Kensal Green, Tower Hamlets and West Norwood, represent London's Magnificent Seven, a ring of suburban garden cemeteries opened between 1833 and 1841, spanning the bridge between the Georgian and the Victorian eras.
The Friends of Brompton Cemetery have a website with many pictures and details about the history and architecture of the site: http://www.brompton-cemetery.org/. This site includes a PDF map indicating the resting place of 50 notable personalities in the cemetery, including Samuel Cunard.
In December 1914, No. 1 General Hospital was established in Etretat and it remained there until December 1918. In July 1917, it was taken over by No. 2 (Presbyterian USA) Base Hospital Unit, but it continued to operate as a British hospital. The first seven burials took place among the French civil graves but in February 1915, two plots were set aside for Commonwealth burials in the churchyard. These were filled by December 1916 and from then until December 1918, the Extension was used.
Etretat Churchyard contains 264 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and one German grave. Etretat Churchyard Extension contains 282 First World War burials and four from the Second World War. There are also 12 German graves in the extension.
The cemetery is unique in that many of the dead were brought here from nearby Germany. It is one of the few cases where bodies were moved across international frontiers. It is believed that all fallen Canadian soldiers of the Rhineland battles, who were buried in German battlefields, were reinterred here (except for one who is buried in Reichswald Forest War Cemetery). General H.D.G. Crerar, who commanded Canadian land forces in Europe, ordered that Canadian dead were not to be buried in German soil.
Thousands of Dutch children tend the graves of the soldiers buried here as they do throughout the Netherlands.
The Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing is a war memorial in Ypres, Belgium dedicated to the commemoration of British and Commonwealth soldiers who were killed in the Ypres Salient of World War I and whose graves are unknown. The memorial is located at the eastern exit of the town and marks the starting point for one of the main roads out of the town that led Allied soldiers to the front line.
St Mary's Church, Knowsley is in Knowsley Lane, Knowsley Village, Merseyside, England. The church is a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Liverpool and the deanery of Huyton.
There was a Church erected on this site over a thousand years ago, parts of which are incorporated in the present structure. The original Church was a small Saxon one of nave and chancel only. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book (1080 -1086) which states: "There is a Church and two acres of meadow".
There are still traces of this ancient building and if the visitor, after entering, will look up behind then they will see something of this Saxon work, which probably goes back as far as the year 950. In the interregnum between the two Viking invasions, when Edgar was on the throne (959 - 975), quite a few Churches were built in the villages of England and it is likely that St. Michael's was one of them.
It is known that before the so-called "improvement and re-construction" of 1842, our Church bore many evidences of great antiquity and the architect at that time, F P Robinson, produced a folio volume entitled "An Attempt to Ascertain the Age Of Mickleham Church", published by Carpenter, of Bond Street. Fully illustrated by plans and drawings, it entered into an elaborate comparison with other churches in England and Normandy that show exactly similar styles. Some of the earliest comparative specimens are those of the capitals and arches in an old convent Church at Ely, the date of which is assigned to Edgar (958-975). Another of early dates is a capital in the Chapter House of Oxford Cathedral, said to have been built by King Ethelred in 1004. Other examples are given of pure Norman character down to 1070.
In taking down the old West end of the Nave at Mickleham, which formed a casing against the tower, the old plaster coating was discovered with the date 1080 marked on it in red colour. Yet the Church as we have it today dates for a large part from the Norman period, somewhere about 1180.
It will be seen that the chancel is out of alignment with the nave. This appears to be an example (common to a number of ancient churches) of what has been termed the 'Weeping Chancel', being an attempt in a cruciform building to suggest the inclined head of Our Lord as He hung upon the Cross.
The entrance into the chancel is under a fine but simply ornamented Norman arch "with double Chevron bead and dog tooth" exactly similar to the one at Caen in Normandy, the manorial Church of William the Conqueror, one of whose nephews was granted the manorial estates that contained Mickleham. It was raised to its present height in 1872. The lancet windows, North and South, in the chancel are the original ones of the twelfth century. The font, whose basin is made from a single stone, is another fine Norman relic. The small window at the west end of the south aisle was probably a leper's squint at one time.
The old 12th century arches were replaced by new piers and higher arches in 1823 whilst the North aisle was added in 1872 with the original north wall and ancient doorway being replaced in the process. The beautiful 14th century three light east window and another on the south wall were also removed. The galleries were taken out and piers replaced by pillars with the north aisle being dismantled in 1891. In fact it was whilst the 1823 repairs were being effected that as the ground around the North door was lowered so two ancient tombstones were revealed. They date from about 1330 and now are positioned either side of the entrance porch.
Among the most interesting and ancient parts of the Church is the side Chapel, now known as the Norbury Chapel. With its chequered flint and stone walls it goes back to about 1300; some of this work may be seen from the North aisle over the modern archway, being part of the old outside wall. The Chapel contains an ornamented stone tomb, that of "Wyllyam Wyddowsoun, Citizen and Mercer of London ... and also Jone his wife". Their brasses are above the tomb and the date given is "XXVII day of Septebyr, the fifth year of King Hary the 8th" that is 1514. The Chapel later passed to the Stydolf family.
Until 1967 the helmet and banner of Sir Francis Stydolf (died 1655) hung in the chancel, but at this time the helmet was stolen and the banner badly defaced. In due course the chapel became the family pew of the Locks of Norbury, whose names are recorded on the marble tablet. The pattern of the ample fire-place, which the pew contained, can still be traced. The old oak panelling comes from St. Paul's School, London and is said to have been part of what was rescued in the Great Fire of London, 1666.
The present pulpit is of interest with the panels and carved figures, evidencing superb Flemish craftsmanship, being brought over from Belgium in 1840. Also erected on each side of the altar are some very finely worked and valuable carved plaques, brought over from Bohemia whilst the present reredos was installed in 1938. The four larger Church bells, completing the peal of six were given by Dame Elizabeth Lawrence in memory of her husband, Sir James Lawrence, in 1913.
No doubt from the antiquarian's point of view the history of Mickleham Church is one of tragic "restorations", especially when one considers the 12th century Norman arches and pillars that once lined the nave, being substituted for "modern" ones in 1823. Perhaps their condition at that time made it imperative - who knows? It is fortunate however, that so much remains in this lovely building to tell the story of the past. [Source]
St. Symphorien Military Cemetery was made by the Germans in August 1914, after the Battle of Mons. It remained in their hands until November 1918, and has the distinction of containing the graves of some of the first and last casualties of the First World War.
Westminster Abbey, formally titled the Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster, is a large, mainly Gothic, church in the City of Westminster, London, located just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is one of the most notable religious buildings in the United Kingdom.
Wimereux Communal Cemetery contains 2847 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, two of them unidentified. There are also five French and a plot of 170 German war graves. The cemetery also contains 14 Second World War burials, six of them unidentified. Because of the sandy nature of the soil, the headstones lie flat upon the graves.
Wimereux was the headquarters of the Queen Mary's Army Auxilliary Corps during the First World War and in 1919 it became the General Headquarters of the British Army. From October 1914 onwards, Boulogne and Wimereux formed an important hospital centre and until June 1918, the medical units at Wimereux used the communal cemetery for burials, the south-eastern half having been set aside for Commonwealth graves, although a few burial were also made among the civilian graves. By June 1918, this half of the cemetery was filled, and subsequent burials from the hospitals at Wimereux were made in the new military cemetery at Terlincthun.
Wolford Chapel was built by John Graves Simcoe, the first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, to serve as a place of worship for his family on their estate. It is also the burying place of Simcoe, his wife Elizabeth Posthuma Gwillim Simcoe, and six of their 11 children.