Also known as Smith's Knoll
70 ½ King Street West
Denomination: Non-Denominational / Non-Sectarian
Status: Closed (1813)
In the afternoon of June 5, 1813, an American force of several thousand marched from Forty Mile Creek (Grimsby) encamping near the James Gage homestead, now known as Battlefield House. On a prominent hill just east of the creek at least four American artillery pieces were positioned so as to guard against a possible attack. About 2 a.m. on June 6, 1813, a company of 704 British regulars of the 8th (Kings) and 49th Regiments, under the leadership of Colonel John Harvey and guided by nineteen year old Billy Green, engaged the American forces in a surprise encounter lasting approximately 45 minutes.
As the American field guns were brought into action, Major Plenderleath and a small force of British regulars charged the enemy cannons putting them out of action. Two of the guns were spiked and pushed down into the ravine beside the knoll. Brigadier General John Chandler, one of the two American commanding officers taken prisoner during the battle, was likely captured during this skirmish at Smith's Knoll.
Later that day, after the American forces had retreated to Niagara, the dead of both sides were buried. Those who had fallen during the attack on the American guns were interred in Smith's Knoll where they had fallen while the remainder were buried beside the Methodist church that stood to the west of the Gage farm.
The monument consists of a 4.0 metre high truncated pyramid constructed of uncoursed fieldstone laid in cement mortar. The base of the pyramid measures 4.6 metres by 4.0 metres and the top measures 1.4 metres by 1.8 metres. With the exception of the front, three faces of the pyramid are accented by four bands of projecting stones, one at the base and the others at one metre vertical spacing. The front, or south face, has one projecting band of stones just below the inscription stone. The top of the truncated pyramid is capped with a profile cut limestone slab which supports a carved sandstone lion facing south-west. At the top of the south face of the monument,
the stonework is cut and laid in such a fashion that it depicts the Union Jack.
Important to the preservation of Battlefield Cemetery - Smith's Knoll is the monument itself including the stone lion, fieldstone pyramid base and the inscription stone. Also important are the
six cannons located on the site and the stones commemorating the United States soldiers. In addition, the fieldstone retaining wall and the wrought iron gates at the south perimeter of the site are also important to the preservation of the site.