Wimereux Communal Cemetery contains 2847 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, two of them unidentified. There are also five French and a plot of 170 German war graves. The cemetery also contains 14 Second World War burials, six of them unidentified. Because of the sandy nature of the soil, the headstones lie flat upon the graves.
Wimereux was the headquarters of the Queen Mary's Army Auxilliary Corps during the First World War and in 1919 it became the General Headquarters of the British Army. From October 1914 onwards, Boulogne and Wimereux formed an important hospital centre and until June 1918, the medical units at Wimereux used the communal cemetery for burials, the south-eastern half having been set aside for Commonwealth graves, although a few burial were also made among the civilian graves. By June 1918, this half of the cemetery was filled, and subsequent burials from the hospitals at Wimereux were made in the new military cemetery at Terlincthun.