St. James Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Toronto still in operation. The cemetery opened in 1844 as the burial ground for St. James Cathedral.
The cemetery was necessary as the burial ground around the cathedral itself, in use since 1797, was out of room. When built it was a located a considerable distance from the centre of town. The cemetery itself is home to the Chapel of St. James-the-Less which sites atop a knoll at the highest point in the cemetery. The chapel opened in 1861, and was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1990.