Believed to be one of the oldest cemeteries in Ontario, it was closed to burials in 1915. The stone monument, the surrounding wall and the gate were built by the Provincial Government in 1938. Buried in the cemetery are Captain "Spanish" John MacDonell, soldier of fortune in Spain and aide to the Stuart court in France: Simon Fraser the famous explorer, and John Sandfield Macdonald the first Premier of Ontario.
Ontario Provincial plaque: ST. ANDREWS CHURCH: This building, the oldest remaining stone structure in the province erected as a church, was completed about 1801. Many of the pioneer settlers in this area were Roman Catholic Highlanders, ministered to by Rev. Roderick Macdonell, the missionary at St. Regis. The church was built under his leadership, with the assistance of a prominent local settler, "Spanish" John Macdonell, who obtained contributions for its construction from members of the North West Company and other fur traders. It was used as a hospital during the War of 1812, and served its congregation until replaced by the adjacent church in 1860. Simon Fraser and Sandfield Macdonald are buried in the graveyard opposite.